Thanksgiving Day Sweet Potato Pie
- One batch Sweet Dough, for a 1-crust pie (recipe above)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups light cream or half-and-half
Prepare and chill the dough.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set a rack in the lowest level. For the bottom crust, lightly flour the work surface and the dough and roll it to a 12-inch disk. Fold the dough in half and place it in the pan; unfold the dough and press it firmly into the pan. Trim away all but 1/2-inch excess dough at edge of pan. Fold dough under and flute edge.
Bake the pie for about 1 hour, until the crust is baked through and the filling is set. Cool the pie on a rack.
For Squash Pie, halve, seed and wrap in foil, one large acorn squash and substitute for sweet potatoes, above
Recipe Courtesy of Nick Malgieri