- 3 ounces jumbo lump crab, picked over to remove cartilage and bones
- 1-ounce avocado, diced
- 1-ounce cucumber, diced
- 1-ounce tomato concasse
- 1/4-ounce shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4-ounce chives, finely sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 ounces mayonnaise
- 2 ounces stiffly beaten whipped cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons gazpacho coulis, recipe follows
- 3 to 4 sprigs chervil or leaves of basil, for garnish
In a small bowl, gently fold the crab with the avocado, cucumber, tomato concasse, shallots, chives and lemon juice together. In a larger, separate bowl, fold the mayonnaise with the whipped cream. Using a spatula, fold the crab mixture into the mayonnaise mixture. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Place a 3-inch round cookie cutter in the center of a chilled plate. Fill the cookie cutter with the crab salad and remove the cookie cutter. There should be a cylinder of crab salad. Drizzle the gazpacho coulis around the crab salad, and garnish with chervil or basil.
- 1 tomato, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cleaned
- 1 rib celery, cleaned and trimmed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
In a food processor, liquefy the tomato, tomato paste and cucumber. Juice the red pepper, garlic, and celery. With the food processor running, add the juice and olive oil to the tomato puree. Season with salt.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups