- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 12 ounces smoked andouille or kielbasa sausage, sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can peeled diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon file powder
- 1 tablespoon Cajun spice blend
- Cooked steamed rice, for serving
Heat a large, heavy, dry stockpot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil, and then brown the sausage. Remove the sausage from the pan, and reserve the drippings. Add another tablespoon peanut oil, and then brown the chicken, adding more peanut oil, if necessary.
Return the sausage to the pan with the chicken, and add the onion, celery, garlic, and pepper. Saute until the meats and the vegetables are cooked through. Add the tomatoes and the hot sauce, and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Add the file powder and the Cajun spice, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for at least 1 hour. Serve over cooked, steamed rice.