- 1 cup tomato, diced and seeded
- 1 cup fennel, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup capers, drained, rinsed and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, pulp and rind, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 orange, zest minced, juiced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole sea bass (about 5 pounds), scaled and cleaned with head and tail intact
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 lime, cut into thin rounds
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Dried rosemary branches for roasting (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Prepare the Mediterranean Salsa: Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss to mix well. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend before serving or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse the fish well under cold running water (to make sure the cavity is clean of any entrails) and pat it dry. With a sharp knife, make 4 deep diagonal incisions down to the bone on each side of the fish. Sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper. Lay the onion rings, lime rounds, and rosemary sprigs in the cavity. Close the fish. Insert the garlic slivers into the incisions.
Tie the fish together in 3 or 4 places with butcher's twine to close the cavity. Place the fish on a bed of rosemary branches (or a rack) set in a large roasting pan. Rub the fish with the olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the fish until completely cooked through, about 40 minutes.
Transfer the fish to a large platter and remove the twine, top with the Mediterranean Salsa. You can also serve this fish on a bed of spinach or arrugula leaves with a side of warm orzo tossed with a little chopped fresh parsley and olive oil.