- 12 extra large shrimp, preferably with heads-on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup andouille sausage, small dice
- 1/2 cup tasso, small dice
- 2 ounces white wine
- 4 ounces butter, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped finely
- Warm grits, recipe follows
Saute the shrimp in olive oil briefly until they start to color. Add the andouille sausage and tasso. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Let wine reduce until almost completely evaporated. Reduce the heat and slowly whisk in the butter until all incorporated. It is important at this stage not to let the sauce boil or the butter will break out of the sauce. It should also be noted that this sauce can not be reheated or kept warm for very long, therefore, it should be made right before serving. Finish with freshly chopped chives.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup stone-milled grits
Bring milk, butter, and salt to boil. Add grits. Reduce heat to low and cook 25 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Yield: 2 servings