- 12 extra large shrimp, preferably with heads-on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup andouille sausage, small dice
- 1/2 cup tasso, small dice
- 2 ounces white wine
- 4 ounces butter, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped finely
- Warm grits, recipe follows
Saute the shrimp in olive oil briefly until they start to color. Add the andouille sausage and tasso. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Let wine reduce until almost completely evaporated. Reduce the heat and slowly whisk in the butter until all incorporated. It is important at this stage not to let the sauce boil or the butter will break out of the sauce. It should also be noted that this sauce can not be reheated or kept warm for very long, therefore, it should be made right before serving. Finish with freshly chopped chives.
Divide the warm grits evenly between 2 warm plates. Divide the shrimp evenly over the grits. Spoon over the sauce, making sure that each plate gets the sausage and ham. Serve immediately.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup stone-milled grits