- 1 1/2 pounds all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces sugar, plus additional for topping scones
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 tablespoon salt
- 9 ounces butter, cut into walnut-sized pieces
- 1/2 pound currants
- 1 1/5 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Cream, to coat scone tops
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Sift all the dry ingredients 3 times and put in the bowl of a mixer. Add the butter using a paddle attachment and combine until the butter is completely dispersed. Add the currants and then the buttermilk, and mix until a dough forms. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1-inch. Use a cutter to cut desired shapes. Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes.