- 1 bunch watercress, bottom stems removed
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallot
- 2 tablespoons finely diced ginger root
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced chives
- 4 tablespoons finely diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons ginger vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 6 tablespoons creme fraiche, whipped
- Caviar, optional
Bring a small pot of salty water to boil. Blanch the watercress until the stems are very soft to the touch. Shock in ice water. Remove watercress from the shocking bath. Squeeze as much water out of the watercress by hand, and then by wrapping up in a kitchen towel. Chop the watercress as finely as possible by hand. Place the chopped watercress in a blender, and slowly add the canola oil. Remove the watercress oil from the blender and refrigerate.
Combine the smoked salmon, shallots, ginger, chives, cucumber and ginger vinaigrette in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place a mold of your choice on the plate of your choice, and pack 2 ounces of the smoked salmon mixture into the mold. Top with 1 tablespoon of the creme fraiche. Garnish, if so desired, with 1 teaspoon of the optional caviar. Repeat 3 times. Garnish each plate with a few decorative squiggles of the watercress oil.
- 2 cups canola oil
- 8 ounces ginger root, pureed (skin may be left on)
- Marukan seasoned rice vinegar