- 2 bunches fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cloves garlic
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Sprig fresh oregano, leaves picked
- Sprig fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coarsely cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted coriander seeds
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices thick-cut French bread ( sourdough or another quality sliced bread can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh mozzarella
- 1 ripe heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley salad (finely chopped parsley, garlic, pepper and scallions)
For the pesto: Finely chop the parsley and garlic. Add the zest, herbs, lemon juice, pepper, coriander seeds and salt to taste to a bowl and mix. Add the parsley and garlic. Blend until a fine paste, while slowly adding the olive oil.
For the sandwich: Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. After the pesto is completed, throw your nice slices of bread on the grill. Layer all of the sandwich ingredients on one slice of the bread, mozzarella first. After about 5 minutes, the mozzarella should be melted and the bread should have a nice crispness with some darker caramelization. Put the other slice of bread on top, and enjoy!
This recipe was provided by a professional chef or restaurant and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy The Jalopy Truck