The Carlsmith Family's Gingerbread Cookies
- Total Time:
- 3 hr 2 min
- 50 min
- 2 hr
- 12 min
- about 80 cookies (2- to 3-inch)
- 3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
The dough is pleasantly easy to work with for children and parents alike: it won't stick or tear when you roll it out. Dress the finished cookies up with a quick cookie glaze, colored sugars or a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a large bowl. Beat butter, oil and sugar in another large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg, molasses and vinegar; beat until combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine. The dough will be very soft. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350degreesF. Coat several baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
Working with one portion of dough at a time, on a floured surface, roll the dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut cookies using cookie cutters. Gather scraps and reroll. Using a spatula, place the cookies 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Bake the cookies, one batch at a time, until puffed but still soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
A Quick Cookie Glaze (4993)
Recipe Tips & Notes:
1. Tools for decorating:
4. Cookie decorating items: Kitchen Krafts (www.kitchenkrafts.com, 800-776-0575) has a wide array of cookie cutters, edible glitters, cookie stencils, dragees and sanding sugars. Similar items, as well as toasted coconut and cookie molds, stamps and cutters, can be found in The Baker's Catalogue of King Arthur Flour (www.bakerscatalogue.com, 800-827-6836).
Per cookie: 65 calories; 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 0 g mono unsaturated fat); 6 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 41 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium
1 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
Recipe courtesy EatingWell