- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon for cake pan
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons for cake pan
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 10 ounces finely chopped fresh pineapple, or tinned (well drained)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Special equipment: an electric mixer and 2 (9-inch) cake pans
For the cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In an electric mixer cream together 1 cup butter, sugar, and cinnamon until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Fold in the grated carrot. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix 1/2 of the flour into the butter mixture, then add 1/2 the water, mix well. Mix in the remaining flour and water. Fold in the pineapple.
Grease 2 (9-inch) cake pans with the remaining butter and dust with the remaining flour.
Divide the batter evenly between the 2 cake pans. Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove from the pan and cool completely.
Slice both cooled cakes into 2 layers. Spread the icing in between the layers as you stack them up. Ice the top and sides of the cake to finish.