- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons fennel seed, toasted
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup MP Sauce, recipe follows
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- Millionaire's Relish, recipe follows
- Special equipment: a 9 by 5 by-3-inch loaf pan
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine the bread crumbs and the milk in a large bowl. Set aside.
Combine the onion, garlic, egg, fennel, salt, pepper, parsley, and 1/2 cup of the MP Sauce. Add the bread crumb mixture and mix well. Gently mix in the ground meats.
Pack this mixture into the loaf pan. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of MP Sauce over top. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer reaches 160 degrees F. Let rest at least 15 minutes before slicing.
Serve hot accompanied by Millionaire's Relish.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek*
- 1/4 cup dried dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tamarind paste*
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch baking soda
- Special equipment: a food processor or blender
* Sambal oelek and tamarind paste and can be found in Asian markets or high-end stores.
In a large stainless-steel pot, combine all the ingredients except for the salt and baking soda. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium-low heat. Simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow the mixture to cool for at least 15 minutes before adding to the food processor or blender.
Puree the sauce in batches, then press the sauce through a fine sieve for a smooth finish. Stir in the salt and baking soda, which will help to balance the acidity of the sauce.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and finely diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 small hot pepper, seeded, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Meanwhile in a medium-sized stockpot over high heat, bring the sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, cloves, and turmeric to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the drained cucumber, onion and hot pepper. Cook until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.