These are not the recipes made on the show, but recipes that the instructor came up with using the mystery ingredients.
- 2 pounds cleaned squid, cut into rings, see Cook's Note*
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 21/2 cups panko, see Cook's Note**
- Kosher salt
- Serving suggestion: Green Papaya and Lotus Root Salad, recipe follows
- Special equipment: deep fryer
Preheat the deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
In a deep fryer set at high temperature, fry the panko-coated calamari until golden, about 2 minutes. Season with kosher salt and serve immediately.
*Cook's Note: Also known as Calamari.
**Cook's Note: Coarse bread crumbs often used in Japanese cooking. Panko is available in Asian food shops.
Green Papaya and Lotus Root Salad with Orange:
- 1 small fresh lotus root, peeled and thinly sliced, see Cook's Note*
- 1 green papaya, peeled and julienned
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 Thai chile, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
*Cook's Note: The root of the water lily, it has a taste and texture similar to potato. It's available canned and frozen and found in specialty Asian markets.
Yield: 2 cups
Preparation Time: 15 minutes