- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large Vidalia onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 16 new potatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- Corn Broth, recipe follows
- 2 pounds raw scampi, peeled, tail on, deveined, butterflied
- 1 cup corn kernels, reserved from Corn Broth
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup basil, torn into large pieces, for garnish
- 12 Garlic Croutons, recipe follows
In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat and saute onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt, and saffron. Saute for 1 minute. Increase heat to high and add Corn Broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Add scampi, corn kernels, and tomatoes. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with 1 tablespoon of salt.
Garnish with basil and 2 Garlic Croutons.
8 ears corn
6 cups water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Cut the kernels off 2 of the corn cobs and reserve for later. Grate the kernels off the remaining cobs, making sure to keep all the corn milk. Cut all 8 cobs into smaller pieces, about 2 inches long. Place corn milk, cobs, salt and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain broth and reserve.
12 slices French baguette, cut on the bias
1/4 cup softened butter
Toast the slices of French bread and rub each piece with the garlic cloves. Butter the toast and set aside.