- 12 round dumpling wrappers
- 12 cilantro leaves
- 12 medium shrimp uncooked, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 1 recipe Chili Oil, recipe follows
- 1 egg, beaten
- Semolina, for dusting pan
- Vegetable or peanut oil, for frying dumplings
- Mango slices, as accompaniment
- 1 recipe Saffron-Coconut Milk Sauce, recipe follows
Pull 1 wrapper off the stack and place on a flat work surface. Lay 1 cilantro leaf in the center of the wrapper, followed by 1 shrimp curled into a circle. Drizzle 1/8 teaspoon of the Chili Oil on top of the shrimp.
Fill a wok with 2 cups of vegetable oil and bring oil to 350 degrees F. Cook the dumplings (3 or 4 at a time) for about 2 minutes, turning after 1 minute or when golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
Serve warm with mango slices and Saffron-Coconut Milk Sauce, along with Chili Oil on the side.
- 7 Thai bird chiles, seeded
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek*
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- Special equipment: a small food processor
- *Sambal oelek is an Indian spice that can be found in gourmet and specialty markets.
Serve at room temperature.
Saffron-Coconut Milk Sauce:
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Place the saffron in the white wine and set aside for 20 to 30 minutes. Place the coconut milk and heavy cream in a small pot and over medium heat cook down by half. Whisk in the saffron wine, lemon juice, kosher salt, and cayenne pepper.
Serve the sauce warm.