- 1 tablespoon butter, plus 1/3 cup
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup pure cane syrup
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cream together the remaining butter, the sugar, and syrup in a mixing bowl. Add the water and mix well. Add the egg and mix again.
Pour into the pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cake sets and slightly shrinks from the side of the pan. Remove and cool slightly.
Combine all the topping ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well using your fingers to form a crumbly topping.
After the cake has cooled slightly, spread the topping evenly over the cake and return the cake to the oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the topping crisps slightly.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Remove from the pan and transfer to a serving plate. Cut into wedges to serve.
Cake is best served warm or at room temperature.