- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup rough-chopped onions
- 1/2 cup rough-chopped celery
- 1/2 cup rough-chopped green pepper
- 2 cups rough-chopped tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pound small fish fillets, skin on
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Creole spice
In a soup pot heat oil, whisk in flour to make a thin roux, and cook 3-5 minutes, whisking, until raw flour taste has cooked out. Add onions, celery, and green peppers and cook until tender. Stir in tomatoes and bay leaves, reduce heat to very low and simmer 1 hour. A film or crust will form on top of tomatoes; do not stir. Add fish fillets, cover tightly, and cook 5 minutes.
Remove fish to serving plates or a platter, sprinkle with parsley and green onions and adjust seasoning with Creole spice. Serve over rice.