- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cultured buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
Combine the flour, cornmeal, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the egg, buttermilk, butter, honey, and marmalade. Using a large spoon or dough whisk, stir just until all of the ingredients are moistened yet thoroughly blended; take care not to overmix.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake on the center rack of the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until dark golden around the edges and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. The top should feel firm to the touch. Let stand for 30 minutes in the pan before cutting into thick wedges