- 1 (12-ounce) rib-eye steak
- Jerk seasoning, recipe follows
- Plantains, recipe follows
- Collard Greens, recipe follows
Preheat grill or grill pan on high heat.
Rub jerk seasoning on steak. Place steak in a plastic bag to marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator. After marinating for 1 hour, remove steak from refrigerator and let sit for 15 minutes. Grill steak for 10-12 minutes (4-6 minutes on each side). Remove from grill with tongs and let rest for 8 to 12 minutes. Serve with plantains and collard greens.
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients with 2 tablespoons of canola oil.
- Canola oil
- 1 ripe plantain
- 4 ounces butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh scallions
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat a medium frying pan and coat with canola oil. Slice plantains on bias, then saute until brown. Mix in butter and scallions. Then remove from the heat. Stir in honey and parsley with a large spoon.
- 12 ounces fresh collard greens, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Wash collard greens thoroughly. In a medium stock pot, place collards in hot water for 3 minutes, remove and drain.
In a large saute pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter, then add onions and crushed red pepper, saute. Then add collards and chicken stock to saute pan. Cook on high heat, stirring occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.