The Original Mai Tai
- 1 1/2 ounces Myers's Plantation Rum
- 1 ounce Cuban Rum
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 Falernum*
- 1/2 ounce Cointreau
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 dash Pernod
- 1 cup cracked ice
- Slice squeezed lime, for garnish
- Pineapple spear, for garnish
- Mint sprig, for garnish
- *Falernum is a lime/ginger based syrup and can be found in some large liquor stores.
Pour all the liquids into a cocktail shaker. Fill it with ice and shake for about 30 seconds. Pour it all into a 16-ounce double old-fashioned glass. Garnish with lime slice, pineapple, and mint sprig.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of "Hawaii Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine by Don the Beachcomber" by Arnold Bitner & Phoebe Beach published by Mutual Publishing