The Tombs Gumbo
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 8 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (28-ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 pound okra, sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds chicken thigh meat, diced and Sauteed until brown
- 1 pound andouille sausage, diced
- 1 pound (21 to 25 count) peeled and deveined shrimp
- Serving suggestion: cooked rice
In a large skillet, combine oil and flour to make the roux. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until dark brown, about 30 minutes.
Add celery, onion, peppers, and garlic and cook for 10 more minutes. Transfer to a thick bottom pot and add chicken broth, beef broth, tomatoes, okra, hot sauce, bay leaves, black and white pepper, cayenne pepper, chicken thighs, and andouille sausage. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve over rice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.