The Veal Thing
- 1 1/2 pounds veal tenderloin, trimmed, halved, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups veal stock
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour, sifted, plus more for dusting
- 8 ounces white wine
- 4 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered depending on size
- 1/8 cup clarified butter
- 1 (13-ounce) package puff pastry, defrosted in refrigerator
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 4 ounces pimento
- 1/4 cup whipped cream
- 3 ounces tiny shrimp
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 black truffles, washed, dried, and finely chopped
Meanwhile, melt salted butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in 3 tablespoons flour. Increase heat and cook roux for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and gradually add wine and 1 cup of the veal liquid. Blend well and pour over veal.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll out puff pastry on lightly floured board to 1/8-inch thickness. Grease the underside of an upturned, medium ovenproof bowl. Drape dough over bowl and press down to smooth creases. Trim off excess dough and make criss-cross cuts lightly over pastry surface, careful not to cut through. Brush with egg yolk. Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
To serve, pour onto platter and cover with pastry dome.
Created by Graham for Jamaica Inn, Port Antonio, Jamaica