Three Onion, Mushroom and Ham Quiche
- 1 recipe Savory Pie Crust, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks, white parts only
- 6 ounces diced ham
- 8 ounces thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoons salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 ounces grated Gruyere, plus 1 1/2 ounces
- For the Savory Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, as needed
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
- Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Roll out the pie crust on a lightly floured surface to fit a deep 9 or 10-inch pie pan. Place the pastry in the pie pan and crimp edges decoratively. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, then line with aluminum foil. Fill with pie weights and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges. Remove foil and pie weights, and return to the oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and place crust on a wire rack to cool.
Set a 12-inch saute pan over medium heat, and add the butter and olive oil and once the butter is melted, add the yellow onions, red onions, and leeks to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and leeks are wilted, and lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add the ham, mushrooms, thyme, and garlic to the pan and season with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Cook the onions, ham and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture has cooked out of the mushrooms and they are caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the onions, ham and mushrooms to cool for 10 minutes before placing in the pie crust.
In a medium bowl, combine the heavy cream, eggs, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the nutmeg and whisk until just combined. Stir 1 1/2 ounces of the grated cheese, then pour the cream mixture over the onion mixture, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over top. Place the pie tin on a sheet pan and place in the oven. Bake until golden brown, and the custard has set, 35 to 40 minutes. Be sure to rotate the sheet pan after 15 to 20 minutes to ensure even browning.
Yield:1 (9 or 10-inch) pie
In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, Essence, salt, and butter and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While the motor is running, add water in increments until dough just comes together to form a ball. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and shape into a flat disk. Refrigerate overnight or at least 1 hour.
Remove from refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured surface to desired shape and thickness.
Yield: 8 servings
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Gruyere Quiche with Oat Crust, Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Bacon Quiche in a Pat-In-Pan Crust, Mushroom, Onion and Basil Pizza, Baked Ham Recipes, Pork Shoulder Recipes, Pork Tenderloin Recipes, Stuffed Mushrooms, Hard Boiled Eggs Recipes, Egg Noodle