- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus a bit extra
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed, plus 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced paper thin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 Roma tomatoes, squeezed and roughly diced
- 12 ounces dry penne
- 1/2 pound arugula, washed and dried*
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Shaved Parmesan
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
In a deep saute pan or wok, place 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the smashed garlic cloves and heat on medium until the garlic turns a golden brown and emits a deep odor. Discard the garlic and keep the pan warm on low.
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions (al dente), salting the water well. When cooked, drain the pasta, and keep warm in the saucepan, tossing the remaining tablespoon of oil through to prevent sticking.
Bring the heat on the saute pan up to medium, and when oil starts to sizzle, add sliced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, and then the diced tomato. About a minute later add the cooked penne and start tossing or stirring to combine. Turn off the heat, add the arugula, and continue stirring, until it has started to wilt. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Add more olive oil, if desired.
Divide the pasta among 4 large bowls and garnish with a quarter of lemon, for squeezing lightly over the top. Sprinkle on shaved Parmesan and enjoy! Enough to keep you dancing for hours...