Toasted Rice Soup with Spinach and Parmesan
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 cups canned vegetable broth, or homemade
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place rice in a shallow baking pan and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, salt, nutmeg, cayenne, vegetable broth, and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 12 minutes.
Stir in spinach, Parmesan cheese, and lemon zest, simmer until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes longer, and serve.
Recipe courtesy Georgia Downard