- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of corn oil, less may be needed
- 1/4 cup of cold rice milk or water
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-inch pie plate.
Mix the flour, salt and oil thoroughly, using a fork to incorporate the ingredients. Slowly add the rice milk and stir to form a stiff dough. Gather it into a ball and knead for 2 minutes. Roll out thinly between sheets of waxed paper to form a 10-inch circle. Lay it over the prepared pie plate, pressing it down to eliminate any air pockets. Crimp edges. Prick the pastry with a fork and bake for 10 minutes. Allow the crust to completely cool before filling.
- 1/3 cup of barley malt or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of corn oil
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Whole toasted pecans for garnish
- 1 pound of firm tofu
- 1 (16-ounce) can of pumpkin puree (do not use fresh pumpkin because it is too watery)
- 1 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of barley malt or molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor. Process for about 3 minutes. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake for 50 minutes. Garnish the edge of the pie with whole toasted pecans. Let the pie cool and serve. This pie is also delicious served chilled, allowing the pie to rest about 10 minutes after you pull it from the refrigerator before eating insures optimum flavor.
TOFU WHIPPED CREME:
1/2 pound of firm tofu 1/2 pound of silken tofu 1/4 cup of maple syrup 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract 1 to 2 tablespoons of water A few grains of sea salt
Yield: about 2 cups