- 4 slices rustic country-style or sourdough bread, sliced thick
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil, best available
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems discarded, leaves chopped
- 3 tomatoes, sliced thinly (ideally yellow and red tomatoes)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toast the bread in a toaster or oven until it is very brown.
Immediately after removing the bread from the toaster, rub a garlic clove over the entire surface of 1 side. Each slice should use up about 1/4 to 1/3 of a clove. (Be careful, when the garlic meets the toast's hot surface, it will create fumes that sting your eyesjust like an onion.)
Generously drizzle olive oil over each slice. Sprinkle basil over top, then top with tomato slices. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Slice into 1-inch strips, or quarters, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Bob Blumer
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay