- 1 pound veal tongue
- 3 quarts water
- 1 small white onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 celery rib, cut into 4 pieces
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 whole clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium or 5 Roma tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded if desired and diced
- 1/2 bunch oregano, leaves only, chopped
Place the tongue in a medium saucepan and add water - add enough to cover. Add the white onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, clove, salt and black peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until tender. Transfer the tongue to a cutting board, cover with a damp towel and set aside to cool. Strain and reserve the stock.
Peel and discard the tongue's skin. Cut the meat into 3 x 1/2-inch julienne strips.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the red onion until well browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saute an additional 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and jalapenos and saute 2 minutes longer. Then add the tongue and reserved stock. Simmer 8 minutes. Sprinkle in the oregano, and remove from the heat. Serve over white rice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.