Tortilla Chicken Soup
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon spicy chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound vine ripened tomatoes, cut in half and seeded
- 4 poblano or 2 anaheim chilies
- 2 ears white corn husk removed
- 3 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Salt to taste
In a bowl combine the chicken strips with the lime juice, olive oil, honey, chili sauce, and garlic, mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 15 minutes but not longer than 8 hours.
Heat an iron grill pan over medium high heat until very hot. Grill the tomatoes, chilies, and the corn until they are lightly charred. Chop the tomatoes. Seed, stem and cut the chilies into 1-inch long strips. Remove the corn kernels from the cob with a knife.
In a 10-inch skillet or saute pan over medium heat, heat the cooking oil until a tortilla strip bubbles around the edges when added. Cook a few strips at a time, when golden, transfer to paper towels and drain.
Squeeze some lime juice over the avocado slices and set aside. Heat the grill pan over medium high heat, brush with a little cooking oil and lay the chicken strips on the grill and cook on both sides just until they lose the raw color on the inside. Remove the chicken and cut into pieces on a sharp diagonal into 1-inch lengths.
In a saucepan heat the chicken stock, over medium heat to a simmer, stir in the tomatoes, chilies, and corn and return to a simmer. Stir in the chicken, taste and adjust the seasoning adding the salt. Serve the soup with the tortilla strips, crumbled goat cheese, avocado slices, chopped cilantro and wedges of lime.