Town Talk Diner - Brat Burger
- Brat Spice Mix:
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 3/4 pounds pork shoulder, diced
- 1/4 pound fat back, diced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brat spice mix
- Spicy Kraut:
- 1 cup store-bought sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon diced bacon
- 1/4 cup onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 juniper berries, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic-chili paste
- 8 slices gruyere cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- Large hamburger buns, toasted
Combine all the spice mix ingredients.
To make the burgers: Toss the pork shoulder and fat back with the salt and the spice mix and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Grind through the coarse die of a grinder and form into 4 (8-ounce) patties.
To make the spicy kraut: Soak the store-bought kraut in water for 20 minutes, drain excess water. Render the bacon; add the onion and saute until translucent. Add white wine and cook off the alcohol. Add sauerkraut and spices and enough water to cover. Simmer for 1 hour. Cool. Mix in garlic-chili paste.
To assemble: Cook burger patties until medium-well. Melt 2 slices of cheeses on top of each patty. Place on toasted bun and top with spicy kraut.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.