Trinidadian Beef Pastelles with Grilled Pineapple and Roasted Red Pepper Coulis
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3/4 cup currants
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green olives
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons chipotle puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups boiling water
- 4 banana leaves
- Grilled pineapple wedges, as an accompaniment
- Roasted Red Pepper Coulis, as an accompaniment, recipe follows
- Roasted red pepper coulis:
- 2 red peppers, roasted and skin, ribs, and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large saute pan, heat the oil and cook garlic and onions until soft and translucent. Add beef and cook until meat is browned. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 20 minutes.
Put cornmeal, sugar, salt, and butter in medium mixing bowl and pour over enough boiling water to make mixture moist enough to spread.
To assemble Pastelles:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut washed and dried banana leaves into 8-inch squares. Lightly oil each square. Spread 1 tablespoon of corn dough in center of leaf. Top with 2 tablespoons of filling. Fold banana leaves and close in envelope style.
Steam filled leaves for 1 hour on a rack-lined baking sheet with water coming half way up sides; maintain the water level. Garnish with grilled pineapple wedges and roasted red pepper coulis.Roasted red pepper coulis:
Puree and emulsify the coulis.
Recipe courtesy of Tanya Holland
Recipe courtesy of Paul Young