Blanche's Miniature Cherry Muffins
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing tin
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs yolks, well beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- One 10-ounce jar maraschino cherries, drained, juices reserved
- 2 eggs whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Grease the cups of 2 mini-muffin tins and set aside.
Cream the butter and brown and granulated sugars. Add the beaten egg yolks, flour, baking powder and 3 tablespoons of the cherry juice, blending well. Fold in the egg whites. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of chopped pecans in the bottom of each muffin cup. Spoon in 2 teaspoons of batter, then place half a cherry in the center of the batter. Sprinkle a few pieces of chopped pecan on top of each muffin. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the tins and dust the muffins with powdered sugar while hot, so the sugar melts in.
Adapted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2010