Rainy Day Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 ounces fettuccine noodles
- 3/4 cups instant rice, uncooked
- One 12-ounce brick processed cheese, cubed (about 3 cups), such as Velveeta
In a large stockpot combine the parsley, pepper, onion, chicken, bouillon cubes and 10 cups water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes. Remove and reserve the chicken from the broth, then strain the broth into a large bowl. Discard the onion mixture. Allow the chicken to cool and cut into cubes.
Measure the broth and add water so that you have 8 cups of liquid in the large stockpot. Add the carrots and potatoes, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are done, about 20 minutes. Add the noodles and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove the pot from the heat and add the rice and reserved chicken. Stir the mixture and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with cubed cheese.
Recipe adapted from Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen by Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2008