Truffled Mushroom and Spinach Ragout
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 sliced shallots
- 1 cup chanterelles
- 1 cup small shiitake caps
- 2 cups quartered button or cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup veal demi-glace or chicken stock with 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups spinach chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup chive batons, for garnish
In a medium-hot saucepan, add 1 tablespoon butter and saute garlic and shallots. Add mushrooms and saute. Season. Deglaze with red wine and reduce by 80 percent. Add veal or chicken stock, soy and thyme. Simmer mushrooms for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the other tablespoon of butter and check for seasoning. Right before serving add the spinach to wilt and the truffle oil. Check for seasoning.
PLATING Slice the beef into 6 slices. Spoon a mound of ragout on a plate and top with slices. Garnish with chives and truffle oil.