This is a surprisingly lowfat version of the classic tuna casserole you grew up with. You make your own creamy mixture, which replaces the[ high-fat condensed soup in the original version. Fresh bread crumbs toast right on top of the casserole!]
- 5 slices whole-wheat bread, crusts included
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 (10-ounce) box white mushroom, stemmed and chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 1 percent milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat fettuccine noodles, broken into thirds and cooked according to package directions
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas, thawed
- 4 (6-ounce) cans chunk light tuna in water, drained
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Place bread in food processor and pulse for 30 seconds into bread crumbs (makes about 2 1/2 to 3 cups crumbs).
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until onions are soft and translucent, 8 minutes. Add celery and cook, stirring, until just tender, 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms release their water, 5 to 7 minutes. Add flour all at once and stir immediately and vigorously with a wooden spoon until flour is completely incorporated into vegetable mixture until there are no flour lumps. Add milk and broth, stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to a vigorous simmer and cook, stirring, until liquid has thickened and reduced by about 1/2 cup, 7 to 8 minutes. Add salt and pepper and stir to combine. Combine cooked pasta, vegetable-liquid mixture, broccoli, peas and tuna and toss to incorporate. Pour into a 9 by 13-inch casserole. Top with bread crumbs. Bake for 25 minutes, or until crumbs are golden brown and toasted.
Calories 500; Total Fat 7 g; (Sat Fat 1.5 g, Mono Fat 2 g, Poly Fat 1 g) ; Protein 49 g; Carb 56 g; Fiber 11 g; Cholesterol 75 mg; Sodium 990 mg
Thank you! your flag was submitted.