Tuna Nicoise Sandwich
- For the White Bean Puree:
- 1 1/2 cups dry great Northern beans
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic (1 smashed and 1 minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme plus 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock or water, divided
- Coarse salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Few drops extra-virgin olive oil
- Few drops lemon juice, optional
- Few drops white balsamic vinegar, optional
- Walnut oil, optional
- For the Olive Tapenade:
- 1 1/2 cups pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons finely minced lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- For assembly:
- 8 slices potato bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup White Bean Puree
- 3/4 pound ahi tuna, seared
- 1/2 cup Olive Tapenade
- 12 marinated tomatoes, sliced
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 cup French green beans
- 1 cup greens
- 1/4 cup micro basil
- 1/4 cup micro arugula
For the White Bean Puree: Soak the beans overnight. Or place beans in a pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat; remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 1 hour. Drain the beans; transfer to a 2-quart pot with the diced onion, smashed garlic, bay leaf, thyme sprigs, 5 cups of stock, and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat; simmer until beans are very tender and are breaking apart, about 2 hours. If the mixture becomes dry, add some of the remaining stock. Drain the beans; discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Puree the beans in a food processor, adding a few drops of oil. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, to taste, along with the lemon juice, white vinegar, and walnut oil, if desired. Reserve.
For the Olive Tapenade: In a food processor or mortar, combine the olives, capers, lemon zest, garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper, to taste. Slowly add the oil and pulse or work with the pestle into a coarse paste, retaining some bits of olive and caper for texture. Taste to adjust the seasonings. Reserve.
Sandwich Assembly: Smear with white bean puree on 4 pieces of potato bread. Arrange sliced tuna on top. Drizzle tapenade over tuna. Add sliced tomatoes, sliced egg and dressed French green beans. Top with greens and toasted bread. Garnish with basil and arugula.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.