Tuna-Pesto Melts on Rye with Romaine Salad with Candied Walnuts and Grapefruit
- For the tuna melts:
- 2 cooked tuna fillets, broken into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons jarred roasted red peppers, diced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thick slices rye bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- For the Romaine salad:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 to 6 cups chopped Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 cup ruby red grapefruit segments
- 1/3 cup candied walnuts, pecans or peanuts
For tuna melts:
In a medium bowl, combine tuna, pesto, red peppers, mayonnaise, and Parmesan. Mix well and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Spoon tuna mixture onto bread slices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Top the tuna with cheese. Broil 2 minutes, until cheese melts.
For the salad:
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar and mustard and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Arrange lettuce on a serving plate and top with grapefruit segments and walnuts. Pour dressing over salad and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.