- 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 pound turtle meat, medium dice
- 1/3 pound veal stew meat, medium dice
- 1/3 pound lean beef, medium dice
- 1 cup each minced celery, white onion, green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1//2 cups tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 eggs, hard cooked and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons spinach, chopped
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
Melt 1 stick of butter in a heavy saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the roux is a light brown. Set aside.
In a 10 quart saucepan, melt remaining butter and add turtle meat, veal and beef. Cook over high heat until meat is brown. Add celery, onions, garlic, bay leaves and oregano and cook until vegetables are transparent.
Add tomato puree, hot sauce, Worcestershire and black pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add roux and cook over low heat, stirring until soup is smooth and thickened. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon, eggs, spinach and sherry. Remove from heat and serve. If desired, at the table add 1 teaspoon of sherry to each soup plate.
Recipe courtesy Commander’s Palace