Tuscan Bread Soup: Pappa Al Pomodoro
- 3 tablespoons cold pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried hot peppers
- 1 (12-ounce) can peeled whole tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 loaf day old French or Italian bread (drier the better)
- 20 fresh basil leaves, torn
In a medium pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil and crushed garlic. When the garlic flavors infuse oil, add the crushed peppers being careful not to burn them. Add the whole can of tomatoes into the pot, then using a wooden spatula cut the tomatoes into chunks. Add salt and ground black pepper, to taste. (Remember, bread chunks will be added to this so make it a bit saltier then you would like it to be.) Add water and stir. With your hands, pull the bread into bite-sized chunks, then add them to the pot. "Toss" (do not stir) bread chunks in to the soup. Add basil leaves, lightly toss, serve.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
2003, Daisuke Utagawa, All Rights Reserved