Two-Minute Calamari, Sicilian Lifeguard Style
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 tablespoon hot chili flakes
- 2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 cup Israeli couscous, blanched two minutes and refreshed
- 1 1/2 pounds cleaned calamari, tubes cut into 1/4 inch rounds, tentacles halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- BASIC TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 2 tablespoons dried leaves)
- 1/2 carrot, shredded finely
- 2 28 -ounce cans of tomatoes, crushed and mixed
- Salt to taste
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat oil until just smoking. Add pine nuts, currants and chili flakes and saute until nuts are just golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add caper berries, tomato sauce and couscous and bring to a boil. Add calamari, stir to mix and simmer two to three minutes, or until calamari is just cooked and completely opaque. Season with salt and pepper, pour into a large warm bowl, sprinkle with scallions and serve with warm Panelle.
To Make Tomato Sauce: Saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until translucent but not browned. Add thyme and carrot, cook 5 minutes over medium heat and add tomatoes. Bring to boil, lower heat to just bubbling and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.