Apple Pecan Stuffing
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for finishing
- 1/2 bunch fresh sage
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups raw pecans
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 5 cups sourdough bread (crusts removed), hand-torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Set a large saute pan over medium heat and add olive oil, sage and thyme sprigs. As the oil heats up the herbs will crackle and fry, infusing the oil. Remove the sage and thyme and set aside on a paper towel to drain - these can be as a garnish, if desired. Add onions to the pan and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper. Remove onions from pan and add apples. Crush the pecans and add to the pan. Add more oil, if needed and season with salt and pepper. Gently saute until pecans are lightly toasted and apples are just cooked slightly - about 3 to 5 minutes. In a large mixing bowl whisk together egg, cream, chicken stock, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add torn sourdough, caramelized onions, apples, pecans and chopped parsley. Using a wooden spoon, mix the stuffing until well combined.
Scoop stuffing into cavity of pork crown roast and cook accordingly with roast.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.