- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons (1 envelope) powdered gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups plain non-fat yogurt
- 1 (15-ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 orange, zest finely grated
- 1 store-bought angel food bundt cake
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
Pour 1/2 cup of the orange juice into a small pot and heat over medium flame until hot; remove from heat. Sprinkle the gelatin on top of the hot orange juice, give it a stir, and let stand for 5 minutes to soften.
Put the angel food cake in a trifle bowl and push it down so it sits on the bottom. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of orange juice over the cake to moisten. Spoon the yogurt custard over the cake to cover. Chill in the refrigerator to set up.
To make the blueberry compote: Combine the blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a pot over medium heat. Stir gently until the berries breakdown and release their natural juice; the consistency should remain a bit chunky. Set aside to cool.
Top the chilled trifle with the blueberry compote and garnish with fresh mint.
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence