Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large unripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices, ends removed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Hot pepper sauce, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, and cayenne together. Pour the buttermilk into a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper. Dip the tomatoes in the buttermilk and then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.
Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the tomatoes (in batches if necessary) until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Carefully remove the tomatoes and drain on paper towels. Serve with hot pepper sauce and lemon.
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence