- 3 eggplants
- 2 cups olive oil, to fry the eggplants
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- Pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 fresh basil leaves, roughly shredded
- 1/4 pound angel hair pasta, or spaghetti
- 1 cup tomato sauce, or passata
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons caciocavallo cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a heavy bottomed pan heat some olive oil and fry the eggplant slices for about 4 to 5 minutes (if you prefer a healthier version of the dish, you can grill the eggplants). Place the cooked slices on some paper towels to drain any excess oil.
In a large bowl combine the butter, freshly grated Parmesan, and salt, to taste. Add the roughly shredded fresh basil leaves.
Place the angel hair pasta or spaghetti into a pan of boiling water, bring back to the boil and cook until al dente. Drain.
Add the cooked pasta into the big bowl with the butter mixture and combine.
Take a small portion of the pasta and place it on top of an eggplant slice. Roll the eggplant around the pasta and place it in an oven-proof dish. Repeat this process with all the eggplants slices.
Place the dish in oven for around 20 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly.