The Ultimate Crab Cakes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs (made from 4 or 5 slices white bread with the crusts removed and processed in food processor)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus more if needed
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves, plus whole leaves, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 recipe Garlic Aioli with Celery Root, for serving, recipe follows
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Garlic Aioli with Celery Root:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
Make the crab cakes first so they have time to firm up in the refrigerator before you cook them.
Heat a 2-count of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the onion gets kind of caramelized. Dump that into a bowl and fold in the crabmeat, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, egg white, lime juice, and cilantro, mixing just until well blended. Season with salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 6 fat crab cakes. Put them on a plate, cover, and stick them in the refrigerator to chill.
To serve, heat a 3-count of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the crab cakes and cook for about 4 minutes each side until nice and crisp. Serve on torn butcher paper with fresh lemon wedges and Garlic Aioli with Celery Root.Garlic Aioli with Celery Root:
Mince garlic and make into paste using the side of your knife. Hint: to make this go faster add a bit of salt to the garlic and continue mashing with the side of your knife.
Place the paste a large bowl and add: the sour cream, mayonnaise, celery seed, lemon juice, and oil. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fold in the shredded celery root and chives. Give it a final taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Thank you! your flag was submitted.