The Ultimate Crab Cakes with Remoulade
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 pound fresh jumbo lump crabmeat
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- 3 cups bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- Green salad, as accompaniment
- Remoulade, recipe follows
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornichons or sour gherkins, minced
- 3 tablespoons capers, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves
- 1 1/2 anchovies, minced
- Several dashes hot pepper sauce
Put potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to the boil, uncovered. Simmer for about 20 minutes until there is no resistance when a fork is inserted.
Drain the potatoes and make sure they are dry. Mash them in a large bowl until all there are no lumps.
While the potatoes are cooking, heat the milk, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Do not let it boil. Using a sieve, strain the milk and herbs into the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Add the chopped chives and season with salt and pepper.
Check crabmeat for pieces of shell. Cover with cling-film and leave in the refrigerator until ready to use. Remove and fold carefully into the potatoes. Using your hands shape the mixture into medium sized patties, taking care to flatten out the centers and smooth out the top.
Roll them in bread crumbs and shake off excess.
Coat a large non-stick skillet with a 1/4-inch of oil and heat over a medium heat until it begins to smoke slightly. Pan-fry the crab cakes until brown, about 5 minutes on each side, turning carefully with a spatula. Remove from pan and serve on a large flat dish with Remoulade.
Garnish with slices of lemon and serve with a green salad.Remoulade:
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay