Tzatziki Yogurt, Garlic and Cucumber Salad
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
- about 3 cups
- 1 large English cucumber or 2 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 5 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped or 2 tablespoons dried mint
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place the diced cucumber in a colander and sprinkle with the salt, tossing to mix well. Set the colander in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to drain for 3 to 6 hours. Line a sieve with cheesecloth and place the plain yogurt on top of the cheesecloth. Place the sieve over a bowl and allow to drain for 3 to 6 hours.
Pat the drained cucumber dry and transfer to a large bowl. Add the yogurt and stir to combine. Add the olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, garlic and mint, mixing gently until thoroughly blended. Season to taste with additional lemon juice, salt and freshly ground pepper.