Udon Noodles with Lemon Grass Clam Broth
- Canola oil
- 2 pounds manila or little neck clams, cleaned
- 6 stalks lemon grass, sliced, white part only
- 4 slices ginger
- 2 Thai bird chiles
- 1 white onion sliced
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 packages udon noodles
- 1/2 pound spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional, but really good)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and white pepper to taste
In a very hot stock pot, add 1 tablespoon oil, add clams and stir for 2 minutes. Add lemon grass, ginger, chiles and onion and stir for 2 more minutes. Season. Deglaze with mirin and reduce liquid by 80 per cent. Add chicken stock and turn heat down to simmer. When clams are open, remove and continue slowly simmering the broth. Check for seasoning. Reduce broth by 20 per cent, which should take about 30 minutes, then strain. Bring broth back to a boil; add udon, spinach, clams and butter. Add lemon juice and serve in large bowls.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.