- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon each chipotle chili powder and red pepper flakes
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, frozen and thawed
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced jalapenos, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles, drained
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup whole roasted cashews
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garnishes: sour cream, shredded Cheddar, more roasted cashews, optional
In a large stockpot, saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat until onions are starting to soften. Stir in cumin, chipotle, and red pepper flakes. Crumble the thawed tofu into the mixture and saute 5 minutes more.
Reduce heat to medium. Add all tomatoes, jalapenos, green chiles, black beans, kidney beans, corn and cashews; mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Garnish with sour cream, grated Cheddar, and additional cashews, if desired.