- Filling and assembly:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork, or substitute ground bulk sausage and eliminate seasonings
- 2 bunches green onions
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese chunks 1/4-inch square
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Sesame seeds
- The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, the Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Brown ground beef and pork together. Start with pork to make sure it cooks thoroughly. Add green onions, basil and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool. When dough has doubled in size take 1/2 of the dough and roll to a 1-inch thick and 10-inch round circle. Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of the shortening on top of the dough. Press 1/2 of the cheese chunks into the dough. Spread 1/2 the meat mixture on the dough. Next sprinkle 1/2 of the grated cheese on top of the meat. Roll the dough jelly roll style and place on a well greased cookie sheet with the end on the underside of the roll. Repeat the process for the second loaf. Let rise 15 to 30 minutes. Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush the top of each roll with the egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes until browned. Slice and serve warm or cold.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.