Uncle Al's Sausage and Peppers Casserole
Before starting this recipe, make sure everything is ready-to-go because the cooking moves really fast. By the way, the hot cherry peppers[ are only suggested and NOT for the weak at heart!]
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh turkey sausage (about 8 links), cut in 1/2
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and separated
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1- inch-wide strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1- inch-wide strips
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed and halved
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-sugar-added diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves, plus some for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 4 marinated hot cherry peppers, optional
- Shaved Parmesan, for garnish
- Equipment: oval gratin dish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes. (Don't fully cook the sausage, as it will be finished in the oven.) Drain the fat from the skillet.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add in the remaining ingredients except for the mushrooms, cherry peppers, and Parmesan and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 3 minutes.
Combine the sausage, vegetable mixture, mushrooms, and cherry peppers in the gratin dish. Bake uncovered until well browned, about 40 minutes. Serve garnished with basil leaves and Parmesan.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.